Plants On Walls vertical garden panels are a green building material that offers a multitude of positive environmental solutions.
- A Plants On Walls Full 12-Pocket Panel releases 1.6lb of carbon per panel in their manufacture. CO2 Calculation for the manufacture of a Full 12-Pocket Panel: Panel Weight (7 lbs) X Recycled PET Plastic (.23 lbs CO2 per lb of material) = 1.61 lbs of CO2 per panel. From: CO2 List
- Because the panels are extremely light weight and efficient a reverse carbon impact is possible from its lifecycle of hosting living plants. Living plants absorb carbon in the air through photosynthesis which offset the CO2 produced in manufacture. This in turn reduces global warming effects.
- Further carbon emissions are reduced by creating energy savings in buildings. In designing a Green Infrastructure west facing walls are covered with plants that create a cooling effect within the building. As plant material grows and regenerates itself the surface of a building is protected from sunlight deterioration. Together the living wall reduces cooling costs and extends the life of building materials, which saves money.
- Interior use has enormous health benefits because interior air is filtered and renewed with oxygen from the large number of living plants that thrive in a living wall. A NASA Study extensively has researched the use of house plants indoors.
- Water savings by maximizing efficiency: Growing food crops in vertical panels maximizes land use and hydroponics recycles water. Further efficiency can be obtained through Aquaponics that uses living fish to create food for plants offering a multitude of harvestable solutions.
- The felt used in Plants On Walls vertical garden panels is made from 100% recycled PET plastic water bottles. PET Plastic is highly durable, UV-tolerant, non-reactive and non-toxic. The panels can be reused indefinitely or completely recycled.